At the first indication that you may be in labor it is a good time to contact your midwife and discuss what is happening so our team can plan to be available to you and your family in a timely manner,
We encourage you to eat and drink as desired during labor, to walk or rest as your body leads you to do. We are comfortable with a variety of birth participants, including doulas and photographers.
Normal care during labor and birth includes.
1. Monitoring the well being of the mother and baby, initial vital signs are taken upon my arrival within the comfort of the mother. Periodic auscultation of the fetal heart rate is every 30 minutes once labor has been established and more often as indicated. After pushing as begun will will listen more closely for any variation in the fetal heart rate. Vaginal exams will be done only as needed and only after discussion with the mother regarding necessity of the exam.
2.Coaching mother as needed, suggesting position changes, relaxation techniques and discomfort relief.
3. Assisting with delivery or assisting mother or other birth participant as desired by mother to deiiver baby.
4. Examination and assessment of newborn, providing vitamin K and erythromycin as requested by mother.
5. Managing any excessive bleeding use natural techniques or medications as needed.
6. Inspecting the placenta and packing it for encapsulaction or dispose as mother desires.
7. Inspecting perineum and vagina and assuring that any lacerations are repaired as needed.
8. Provide care for the mother and infant for at least 2 hours postpartum or until mother and baby are stable , whichever is longer.
We will arrive at your home with all equipment to provide any emergencies care as needed within our scope of practice.